A Law Student's Attempt to Understand It All.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Good Bye Summer, Hello Resume

What will I do when since I have two prestigious internships available for the summer?

On the one hand, the state supreme court justice has offered me an internship. Among other things, I will be researching long-term issues of law for the justice. More importantly, I will review the certiorari petitions to the court. It will be my job to find the interesting and pressing cases that need review. That is quite a bit of responsibility. It will also be great experience. How can a 1L hope to beat the state supreme court?

The solicitor general will have me researching long term issues that he thinks might come up in the coming term. Since I am looking at getting into appellate advocacy, this will be good experience to work with him.

Therefore, I really want both jobs. I had applied to the state supreme court justice first (in October), but I did not hear anything for months. Whenever I inquired I received the same response, “She has not decided yet.” I had assumed she had not chosen me for the interviewing round. Finally, I had the second opportunity come where I could work with the solicitor general. After I applied and was accepted by him, the justice called up. Now, I am left with a puzzle: who should I work for? I applied first to the justice, but I was accepted first by the solicitor general.

My decision thus far: try to see if I can have my cake and eat it too. I will try to work for both the justice and the solicitor general. I may not have a social life this summer, but I should come out with two awesome references and a great resume.

Hopefully, I can handle the pressures…

2 comments:

  1. Matthew 6:24
    "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you say is true. Nice reference to the Sermon on the Mount.

    I do run that risk. Yet, I really believe this is my best option. It could well be a mistake, or it could be the best decision I ever made. Either way, it should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete