A Law Student's Attempt to Understand It All.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Who Am I?

I am a Christian. More specifically, I am an Evangelical Christian. Christ is my Savior, Redeemer, King, and Friend. I strive to live my best for His glory. Yet, I am fallible and still a work in progress. I am a Baptist (more technically Anabaptist) theologically but I typically attend nondenominational churches. Paul’s doctrine of the “Liberty in Christ” guides my actions.

Politically, I stand at the line between “Very Conservative with Libertarian Leanings” and “Conservative Libertarian.” The government exists only to protect life, liberty, and property. The government should not attempt to socially engineer its subjects. Being a “Christian nation” is an effect of our culture and society following the truths of Christ, which cannot be effectively mandated by law alone (see Europe’s “state churches”). However, the practice of religion in the public sphere (schools, courts, etc.) is a fundamental right of liberty and ought not be banned by an elitist judiciary. Further, abortion is homicide, and needs to the condemnation of the law (i.e. the government would be protecting life).

I am a native Coloradoan. I am proud of my home state and the rugged individualist attitude it exemplifies. As the major outpost between the coasts, Denver offers most of amenities of a major city with the ability to drive twenty minutes and be in the middle of a beautiful national park. Unfortunately, Colorado is moving away from a Wyoming attitude and more towards a California mentality. This is unfortunate. Rather than valuing freedom and self reliance, citizens are moving towards government dependency and regulation.

I am a law student. At the time of this posting, I am the newly-elected president of the school’s chapter of the Federalist Society. As a law student, I am overworked, over-caffeinated, and argumentative.

More of me will come out as this blog goes along— that is the purpose of a blog. However, this is a good introduction for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment